Becoming Examples of Hope – Pastor Kwame
The Apostle Paul wrote his first letter to the Thessalonians in AD 51. This particular group of believers was experiencing intense trials and opposition. One of the reasons for the intense persecution was due to their turning away from the false gods of their day to place their trust in Jesus. Paul was made aware that these believers were remaining faithful even in the face of persecution. The apostle was encouraged because the gospel was moving in power among this group of Christians.
It was written that this group of believers served as examples to other Christians in their day. It’s an amazing reality to be called an example in this regard. For those who are following Jesus, we too are called to be examples in light of the gospel and God’s work in our hearts. In reading 1 Thessalonians chapter 1, I noticed a few characteristics of those who are examples or who desire to be examples of what’s holy and good. I desire to see more of this in my heart, and I pray this will be stirred in your hearts as well:
- They have a steadfastness of hope (enduring hope) in Jesus Christ (1 Thessalonians 1:3)
- Because of God’s love, the gospel comes to them not only in word, but also in power producing a continual heart change because of the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 1:5)
- They humble themselves to become imitators of more mature Christians and even the Lord Himself (1 Thessalonians 1:6)
- Because of the work of the gospel, they turn to God away from idols and serve the living and true God (1 Thessalonians 1:9)
- Lastly, they await/long for the return of Jesus from heaven whom God raised from the dead and who delivers us from the wrath to come (1 Thessalonians 1:10)
For the believer in Jesus, because of God’s love for us in the gospel, may we be a people who are examples of hope to an onlooking world.
Blessings in our King,